Sunday, January 12, 2014

he Day The Oil Stopped Burning. Chapter 12: Turks and Cayucos Islands, Old Technology saves the World.


CHAPTER 12: Turks and Cayucos Islands, Old Technology saves the World.

 

 

At approximately zero six hundred hours the Nanny Lu rounded the northern point of Hawks Nest Bay, headed a half mile northwest, and dropped sails. She coasted to a mooring ball fifty yards off the one hundred year old lighthouse Chauncey called home. As Geno ran a bowline through the mooring and secured the Nanny Lu. Chauncey came cruising out in a twenty foot Boston Whaler. "What the hell boys, why didn't you call or something, tell me you were coming so I could have arranged a proper reception". "Radio silence buddy boy, I will tell you all about it over two dozen margaritas, but first we have to make some calls on your dime. Do you still have your HAM radio set up"? "Yea, jump in". Chauncey led Max, Dougy, Jack, and Geno through his house and into the light tower where his communications equipment was located right next to the original 1893 Fresnel lens. Chauncey had grown up in the mountains of Montana near the Canadian border. His father was a National Park Ranger at Glacier National Park and for nine months a year they lived in a lodge built in 1930, way above the tree-line at eleven thousand feet. "Granite Park Chalet" was a CCC (civilian conservation corp.) project during the Great Depression. It was a six hour back pack, or four hours on horseback with pack mule from road end to the lodge. In recent times quad runners and custom built ATVs for gear transport were used, but only in the winter before they shut down and only out of necessity. Short Wave Radio had once been the only form of communication at Granite Park, and Chauncey's Dad developed a pretty serious HAM radio hobby. Chauncey followed in his Dad's footsteps and would spend hours every night communicating with people from all over the world; broadcasting from high atop Granite Park Peak. 

 

Ever since the adoption of the Internet in the 1990's HAM radio enthusiasm had waned, however for some hard core enthusiasts the digital age only made things more interesting and opened up new modes of communication. Also, the digital age allowed for digitized information to be sent through the airwaves and presumably out into infinity. Long before earth was visited by the eggheads Chauncey and his father had dreamed of making "first contact".

 

Chauncey was now seventy six years old, retired, and pursuing his passions which were in no particular order: flying, sailing, scuba diving, cooking, astrophysics, interplanetary communications, drinking, and historic lighthouse restoration. Chauncey was a genius who, inspired by his dad's hobby had helped developed the original TCIP/IP Internet protocol and had continued to work with Vinton Cerf to develop advanced space communication technology including distance-tolerant networking (DTN). He had worked directly with NASA and Ball Aerospace to develop and test the DTN protocol with their Deep Impact Networking (DINET) experiment on board the Deep impact spacecraft in October, 2008. This research which was the first to send a spacecraft to impact with a comet and actually study its nucleus. This research eventually led to a reliable standard communication system to control most all unmanned spacecraft for the next several decades. Needless to say, having the various patens on some of this stuff yielded a hefty sum over time and Chauncey was now a billionaire essentially able to pursue whatever the heck he wanted. 

 

Chauncey had retired from so called professional life back in 2015, one year before the first egghead visit. He had a deep interest in old lighthouses. He thought of them as one of the first technologically advanced communications systems and he hated to see them disappear. To date, he had purchased and restored eighteen lighthouses all over the world. Interestingly enough, this also played into his passion for global (and interplanetary) communications since lighthouses by design happen to be in prefect locations for communications relay and network. Chauncey had taken full advantage of this "doubly bonus" as it were to fully implement what was quite possibly the world’s largest, most sophisticated private communications network.

 

As the five of them sat down in Chauncey's communication room, Jack explained what had been going on and the necessity of getting perhaps a thousand different messages to a thousand different people without any of them being intercepted. "That shouldn't be a problem" said Chauncey, confident in the fact that encoded data transmission was rather a specialty of his. "Yes but...." started Jack "this might be a bit tricky since this conspiracy we are dealing with goes all the way to the top and they have mega-resources.....I mean mega fucking resources. We have been tracked by spooks from Beaver Island to Anagoda. We sailed here with no electronics what so ever. Total silent running. That's why I didn't call you and tell you we were coming. Any technology that exists, they have it......and they are not shy about killing anybody who might rain on their proverbial paradise". "So what you are saying is that you are sitting in a room with quite possibly the most advanced privately owned communications equipment and network in the world and you can't use it"? "Exactly" replayed Jack. "But Max has an idea". "I'm all ears" said Chauncey. Max spoke up "I figure these guys are pretty sophisticated, so they just might overlook monitoring good old fashion short wave radio transmissions". "Probably correct in your assumption there Max, but one primary reason they would not bother is that the days of someone on the other end monitoring a certain radio frequency and waiting for a transmission are gone.....unless you happen to have made arrangements for a radio link up already". "No such luck" said Max, "however, we created a little trick at the secret service. The boys in the lab came up with a black box device that could digitize a voice signal sent via Short Wave or SSB and link up with a computer provided you had the requisite IP address and pass code connect info......which I happen to have for several dozen key personal. If we can get an unintercepted message to these key players than, my guess is that we can lock in on the NSA network and start transmitting the remaining thousand messages. The important thing is that all the information is distributed, and the resulting action taken, is done swiftly.....like within say...twelve hours. The other important thing is that none of it is intercepted. If it is....we are probably fucked". "We'll alrighty than" said Chauncey "where is the black box". "We'll, that's the thing...I don't have one on me". Chauncey's grin was diminishing rapidly "and I suppose you would like me to recreate the same trick that your Secret Service Lab boys came up with......right"? "That would be nice" was Max's response. "Good thing for you guys that I came up with that one decades ago.....remember....you are sitting with the dude who invented the fucking Internet". "Ah yes..Well pardon fucking me your highness, but if we don't get to sending out this stuff we are going to be dead burnt toast".

 

Chauncey and Max went to work sending digitized messages out on short wave radio waves, bouncing off the stratosphere and downloading into the Computers, pads and implanted devices of Ron Smith, Secretary Sivananthan, General A.J. Lukas, Pete Miller, Senator Derek Bailey, Ahbeene Farhteen, Laura, Dr. Watson, Jason Williams (head of MI6), We Chang Wong (China security) and a few dozen other senators, admirals, generals, cabinet secretaries and agents of various security organizations. These were all highly vetted, highly respected, highly trustworthy individuals that jack and Max felt could get things accomplished.......at least they hoped. Jack was feeding information to Max and Chauncey who were doing the transmitting. Even though English had been long since adopted as the universal language of the Internet, sending data on short wave radio frequency still required using Morse code. Chauncey commented that they probably didn't need to encode the messages because proficiently in Morse had been removed from the international communications commission (ICC) and the (FCC) test for a HAM license back in 2007 and nobody knew it anymore. "As Bart Mancuso said in Tom Clancy's book Hunt for Red October "hell, my Morse is so rusty I might be sending him the measurements of the Playmate of the Month".......I loved that movie...Sean Connery played Admiral Rameious" Chauncey said. "Yea, well I might be telling my friend at Chinese intelligence to go eat a goat head" Max replied. "Hey guys, not to add any pressure to you but...the future of the earth might just rest on your ability to remember Morse code. All I remember is SOS, dot dot dot, dash dash dash" Jack added. Chauncey noted that it was interesting that Samuel Morse used dots and dashes, just two symbols, to create a language and that when we learned to digitize information one hundred years later, we used the same formula with ones and twos or X'x and O's. "Seems like Sam was ahead of his time". " most innovators are.....just like you there buddy boy" Geno said. " And since you guys are going to be busy here for the next five hours, I think I will go make mad passionate love to your girlfriend.....ok with you Jacky boy"? "Sure, go for it" Jack responded without really hearing the comment.

 

Geno and Dougy left Jack, Max, and Chauncey in the comm room and headed down to join the others and have a cocktail. "Might as well let those three save the world, and go get drunk. I guess I trust them more than anybody else to save our asses.....right"? "Right.....I saw a blender when we went through the kitchen" Dougy answered. "Margaritas"? "Wow, you are a fucking mind reader..... Make mine a Grand Gold". Annie, Tom Rum, and Jimmy were sitting in the living room having already opened the bar. Actually, Tom and Jimmy were sleeping in a couple cozy big overstuffed chairs. Annie was reading a marine Bio. mag that was on the coffee table. "Hey Annie, wanna go have some wonderful, noncommittal sex"? Geno asked "show me the way big boy' she answered. As they headed toward the stairs Dougy said " great, leave me with these two worthless sleeping beauties....I thought we were going to drink copious amounts of tequila". "Yes, my friend, but I hadn't counted on a positive response from sweet dream boat Annie here, so how bout a rain check on those Grand Gold Margaritas" was Geno's response. Annie added "And if you want to keep jawing with the boys, I can probably find another willing victim". "No, need for that baby.....I'm on my way".

 

The next twelve hours were intense. Messages were successfully sent to several thousand key individuals at the top (or near it) of dozens of the most powerful agencies and governments throughout the world. These messages contained a complete and comprehensive report on all the illegal activities and goals of the world wide conspiracy and unequivocal proof of all the wrong doing. All the information that Bob had reviled  to Jack, all the evidence, all the crimes, were currently being send around the globe and the shit was defiantly hitting the fan. "I'm guessing that within the next ten hours or so, enough bad guys will be rounded up so as to break down their network. If we don't get killed in the next ten hours, we are probably home free". Max was saying as a coded message came from Ron. "Good job boys, shit is flying" was all it said, and Jack knew that in "Ron-Speak" that was as positive as it gets. "Now we wait for the floor crumbs to get swept up and start broadcasting our data and evidence to the rest of the global government community and hope that good judgment and justice prevails". "What are the odds" Chauncey asked. "I give it fifty fifty" Max answered "Jack, what do you think"? "I'll tell you what, if it was up to us, humanity that is, I would only give us about a one percent chance. My personal faith in humanity seems to have declined somewhat in the past few weeks. But, you know, its not just up to us, you see, it seems we have a guardian angel or two watching over us and that probably gives us a far better chance. So maybe Max is about right, fifty fifty could be about where we stand, but I believe the human race has stood at that fifty fifty spot before.....lots of times.....I mean, look at the years of the Cold War, look at World War Two, look at all the natural disasters that could have taken out the human race, or at least most of it, and every time we seem to still come out the other side. Is that due to our cleverness, our good judgement, our forward, logical, pragmatic thinking? I think not. I think it is because we have had a higher power looking over us all along, and while I don't know just how many of these guardian angles there are out there, I do know that I met one and if we....humanity that is....can actually stop this selfish, stupid, greedy conspiracy to reconstitute fossil fuels and gain power and wealth at the expense of others and our very existence, that we owe it to them and not ourselves. You know, I never though much for religion, and I still think the idea that "my god is better than your god" that lots of religions have is totally bogus, but I have to admit, after meeting with Bob and just feeling his wisdom and his love.....well it kind of blew me away, and it left me feeling a sense of serenity and comfort I never had. I guess what Im trying to say is that it feels like all of the world religions were all correct in one sense or another in that there is a power greater than us that created us and loves us and is a force of good and really wants us to be happy, joyous and free, but really wants us to find it for ourselves. It's just that we are a bunch of spoiled brat kids and keep fucking things up, so they keep sending us an angle or two to give us a push in the right direction. So, I guess that's the long way for me to say, I think things are going to be alright, but it's definitely not because of us". "Well said my friend...well said" Chauncey said as he finally lifted his hands from the controls and lit a fine Cuban cigar. 

 

After several hours another message came in from Ron. "Our secure line is safe...make contact ASAP". "Ok them, let's talk to the boss". Jack said as Max entered the proper protocol. "Hey Ron" Jack yelled "how do you like us so far". "Holy shit boys, we have not seen a shit storm like this in D.C. since Nixon" Ron said with just a bit more animation in his voice that usual. "What da ya mean Ron. Some bad guys getting rounded up and marched off to the big house" Jack countered. "Yea, I guess you could say that. It's a fucking white collar prison overload day. They even busted Vice President Stanley.....well actually I guess he was actually president for two and a half days. The evidence you sent connected him to Senator Amash and all his lackeys. Speaker of the House Rep. Derek Bailey has been sworn in as President, and the TRADS are dropping like flies. The meat wagon has been runnin all day haulin in asshole politicians......  It's fucking great"!!! "Well Ron, Glad we could make you happy". Jack said. “Make me happy, MAKE ME HAPPY, you have just made the event of my whole, fucking, long assed LIFE! How the hell did you get that Intelligence? It was unbelievable. We are rounding up bad guys all over the globe. I have been in nonstop communications with officials from fucking everywhere. There must be at least six thousand arrests so far and not one is in question. Also we have discovered at least sixty five depositories of machinery and weapons and a couple hundred fuel storage facilities. This thing is just massive. How the hell did you do it Jacky boy"? Jack paused for a moment, thinking of how to respond and finally said "Ron...would you believe a guy named Bob, sitting on the beach in Anagoda told me"? "Yea sure, you can tell me all about it when you get back here which is about six hours from now. I just sent a jet down to McCarthy Air Field to get you guys". "Hey Ron, if it’s all the same to you, I would just as soon hang here for a few more days, do a little decompression if you catch my drift". "That's fine with me Jacky boy, but the boys from CIA, NSA, and the Joint Chiefs all want to debrief you, not to mention every other security agency in the world, not to mention the congressional ethics and defense committees..... Plus I would not mind picking your brain just a bit myself. Anyway, nobody knows it yet, but you are a national fucking hero Jacky boy. I'll just tell all the authorities here that you are still laying low for oblivious security reasons and send the jet down for you when you are ready". "Sounds good Ron thanks".

 

An hour later Jack found himself and Chauncey sitting on his patio in a couple deck chairs with a bottle of Patron and a lime, smoking Cuban cigars leaning back with their feet up on the seawall just a few feet from the water of Hawks Nest Bay listening to the small waves lapping against the seawall. as they looked out at the Nanny Lu at the mooring and the few lights at the other side of the bay, Jack was reflecting on the last few weeks and what had occurred. He happened to cast a look up at the stars which were bright with a new moon and no ambient light from the house or surrounding area. Chauncey noticed him starring at the starlit sky and said “you know Jack, I have dreamed about making contact with an alien life form since I was a boy of seven. Broadcasting all over the world and talking to people from such exotic places like Mongolia or Antarctica or Siberia was so cool but then the earth got so small and I dreamed of some intelligent life form returning the signal I have been sending out into space for fifty years, but alas, no return signal. Then the eggheads make an appearance, which of course makes me happy because I knew that they-or at least something like them-had always existed. But even though I'm happy, I am kind of bummed because I was always hoping to make contact myself. So now, you tell me you actually got to sit and talk with one for like three hours.....Wow.....what was it like.....I mean what did you ask him....what did he tell you....what the fuck man...tell me everything"! "Chauncey man, I think I am really just plain too tired to tell you all about it. I did ask some stuff and I have to tell you it was pretty interesting, and I really felt like I just had unequivocal love and confidence and comfort. I don't know it's really strange and I can't really explain it, but suffice to say, my life will never be the same". "Ok, I'll let you off the hook for now" Chauncey said "but I just have one question". "Yea, what's that" Jack answered. Chauncey took a breath like he was pondering exactly what he was going to say and finally said "So, what happens after we die". "Sorry Chauncey old buddy" Jack said reluctantly "I had to promise I wouldn't tell anybody". "Oh, you are such a dick head". Right then the rest of the gang all came out onto the patio and sat along the seawall with their feet up. "So, what has everyone been up to while we were saving the world" Jack asked. Geno spoke up first. "Well, I was making mad passionate love to your girlfriend. Can I keep her or do you want her back". "I'll just keep both of you. I am way too much woman for ether one of you alone" Annie chined in. "Gotta admit, she has a point there" Jack said " you know guys, we did good and it looks like most of the bad guys are going to jail and the GECA will pass and all will be right with the world". "Well aren't you Mary fucking Poppins" said Dougy “What are we going to do now. I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to get kind of fond of you dip sticks". "Another adventure perhaps" said Annie G. "We do have a big, fast sailboat at our disposal, sitting about fifty feet away" said Jimmy. "Where do we want to go" asked Tom Rum. Jack, Geno and Annie G all smiled and all spoke in unison "where ever the wind takes us". 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment